900g Shoulder lamb, diced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Large onion, diced
4 Cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tsp hot smoked paprika
400g Can cherry tomatoes
1 Cinnamon stick, broken in half
100g Dried apricots, chopped
1 Large piece orange peel
3 Tbsp tomato puree
500ml Lamb stock
Bunch fresh coriander, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan / Gas mark 4
2. Remove excess fat from the surface of the lamb and cut into chunks.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non-stick heatproof casserole then add the lamb chunks and sear on all sides until browned. Remove the lamb from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Return the pan to the heat and add the remaining olive oil. When hot add the onion and fry gently for approximately 5-6 minutes or until golden. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
5. Add the ground spices to the pan and fry for a further minute. Return the meat and any juices to the pan with the remaining tagine ingredients (except the fresh
coriander), bring to the boil then transfer to the oven, cover and cook in the middle of the oven for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
6. Check seasoning then sprinkle over the coriander before serving.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and roast root vegetables or Harissa cous cous and flat breads.