Blog Info – Strawberry Scones
Scones are so quick and easy to make using everyday store cupboard ingredients and you can add a twist by adding some fresh strawberries to the mixture.
These scones are packed with fresh strawberries and can be served with cream and strawberry jam. They make a delicious afternoon tea treat.
- Flour 350g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling.
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp baking powder
- Butter - Use 85g butter, softened and cut into cubes
- Sugar - 50g caster sugar
- Strawberries - 150g strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 175ml milk
- Egg - 1 medium egg, beaten
- Almonds - 40g flaked almonds
Whipped or clotted cream
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C /200°C Fan/Gas 7.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl then add the butter and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Gently stir in the caster sugar and strawberries using a round bladed knife then add enough milk to form a soft dough.
4. On a lightly floured surface shape the dough into a round approximately 3cm thick. Cut the scone into 8 wedges, place on a lightly greased baking tray and brush each scone with beaten egg then sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
5. Bake for 13-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly then serve warm with cream and strawberry jam.
💡Tip: Try using other soft fruits such as raspberries or blueberries.